View Single Post
Old 06-20-2002, 04:30 PM   #1
ThreeQuarter

bad experience with fellow board member

OK, I've been holding back for awhile, but I think this belongs here. When people have good or bad experiences with other people (especially ones that other board members might later have dealings with), we feel obligated to let each other know. We don't hesitate to slam guys in Nebraska who have never posted here, or big companies like LMC or Reese Hitches. Sure, that's easy.

But I'm going to stick my neck out here. I've been reluctant to say anything because I decided to be a "nice guy" and let this one slide. I didn't want to raise a big ruckus over this deal, I'd rather just keep enjoying the board and keep it on the down-low (which is what I've been doing). I didn't have enough reasons to drag the board through this; it was just between me & him, thought. But I think differently now. People who might deal with this guy in the future need to know his track record. And if I don't speak up then shame on me.

I know that some members can't seem to stomach the idea that seemingly nice fellow members might be neglectfully screwing over other people, and they'll probably come to his support in complete denial about what has gone on. I have seen it more than once. I'm not doing this to be mean, just to tell it like it is.

I'm gonna state the facts here, so don't whine to me about how hard I'm being on this guy, because I think everyone should know this stuff. I'll tell the story and you be the judge. Last summer fast68chevy (Randy) was in the process of buying a panel truck from another board member and we made arrangements for me to pick it up and haul it to Illinois from Texas. We had to move the date back a couple of times to give Randy enough time to pay it off. We were in almost daily contact about the upcoming trip. We had set the date a third time. On the day that I was leaving to pick up the panel en route to Illinios, I shot Randy one last email to make sure everything was "go." It was then that he told me that the owner probably wouldn't release the panel because it wasn't paid for yet. Randy had neglected to tell me that he still hadn't paid for the panel. Now, I understand the part about not having the money, but isn't that something I should've been told? I took two days off work for this trip and wanted to do it because: 1) I wanted to help out a fellow boad member, and 2) it would be good to get out of town for the weekend. I wasn't even going to break even for the trip; the money Randy was going to give me would only cover gas & food on the way up, and one night's stay at $20 motel. Wasn't I being nice? It really steamed me that I would've driven three hours to the panel and found this out if I hadn't sat down for one last email. The place where I rented the trailer was kind enough to refund my deposit after I explained the story. Randy knew exactly what was going on and was going to leave me holding the bag.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not calling for a lynching or anything like that. I'm not asking us all to unite and rally against the evil fast68chevy. Randy has as much right to be here as I do. I'm not asking for your vote as the most popular board member and for everyone to ignore fast because he hurt my feelings. I posted here because I think it's appropriate.
ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote