View Single Post
Old 06-20-2021, 08:20 PM   #1
65k10

Engine temps with Vintage Air Installed

Okay,

It's summer and daily temps are 110 plus. I've got a 66 C20 with a 383/700r4 with a 4 core factory radiator (recently recored) with 2 12" electric fans. Without the AC on, stop and go traffic temps are in the 210-225 range (mechanical gauge in intake). With the AC on (and it's not blowing that cold), it gets to 235 before I panic and turn off the AC . On the freeway (without AC), temps are a steady 200. Using a factory serpentine set-up so I've got the correct reverse rotation water pump. Engine has a mild cam, long tube headers, aluminum heads and intake. 7lb cap on radiator, and it has never puked out any fluid. If the air temp is 95 to 100, I still see the same motor temps, but the AC is cold, cold, cold. I dropped initial timing from 12 to 9 and that has helped some, but definitely can tell performance has dropped some.

I feel that maybe the fans aren't doing the job and maybe I need to step up to something like the big 18" Lincoln fan. I built this to be my daily, but no AC in the summer is a disappointment. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.
65k10 is offline   Reply With Quote