View Single Post
Old 06-08-2021, 05:48 PM   #4
Dexterb

Re: Blue Two Tone 1990 Suburban Build

Then in 2016, i was taking it for a rip and the front left brake locked up on it so I parked it with the intention of putting a big brake kit on it, but with shipping up to Canada and other things I wanted to spend money on, it just ended up sitting parked inside my shop instead.
Fast forward till now, and I sold off all my toys to finance having kids (fertility treatments) and this was the lone survivor.

This winter/spring I set out to buy a 67-69 camaro as I always wanted one and my mindset changed a little after Covid and figured why bother saving all my money for retirement when I could go enjoy some of it now , but with the inflated muscle car prices and closed border I gave up and decided it was time make the Suburban into a cool family ride, so I spent a few weeks reading threads on here, and came up with a recipe for the Suburban that should allow it to be a good family wagon and look pretty decent.

I really wanted to slam it to the ground and go with a drop member and a step notch/4link but I have 2 kids now and wanted to keep it family friendly, so for now, the rear floor is staying intact and I'm going to get it as low as possible without cutting the floor and with factory crossmember.

Ordered up F/R 14" Revelator Kit from Pro Performance. The brakes really sucked after going to 24's, I plan on going to a 22" rim/tire but still didn't like how poor the brakes were with the larger rim. Discovered after ordering the brakes, that part of the issue was likely caused by the RWAL Brakes. i might have been fine just ditching the ABS, but too late now.

Front: 2.5" Drop Spindles, Porterbuilt 1" Narrowed/Forward Control arms, air bags, new steering components, ridetech hq shocks, going to yank the inner fenders for now and see how clearance is with the front ac, and either go with a mild slosh tub or will have to go to vintage air and a full slosh tub or trailer fender. Will decide later when rims get ordered and suspension cycled to see my clearances.

Rear: Air Over Leaf, C-Notch, Flip Kit, 1 inch drop shackles, and will pull a few leaves out of the rear springs and if it isn't touching the bump on the c-notch, will either weld a spring perch saddle to the bottom or use a 1 inch zero rate spring to get it a little lower. (in the future I would like to 4 link it for ride quality but my welding skills need improvement and I don't want to pay someone to do it, so when I become more confident in my skills this will happen plus I would like to LS swap over the winter, so i'm sure the leaf springs will hold up with the stock 200 hp or whatever it is, but 400 hp might not be very enjoyable due to axle wrap with only a 2-3 leaf springs in place.

Air Management - Airlift 3P with dual Viair compressors and 5 gallon tank

As it sits right now, almost all parts are ordered, and i'm just waiting for them to get filled and shipped. Shipping from USA to Canada is pricey so I found a freight forwarder/courier that more economical, but it adds on even more time to the shipping. I'm hoping to have most of the parts by end of June or beginning of July.

Until then I'm slowly working on a few things in preparation of the parts.

Measurements I took before starting:

Bottom of Fender to Ground
Front Right 32 3/4"
Front Left 32"
Rear Right 31 3/8"
Rear Left 31"

Center Hub to Bottom Fender
Front Right 19 3/8"
Front Left 19"
Rear Right 18 1/2"
Rear Left 18 1/4"

Axle Tube to Bottom of Frame
6 1/2" Approx. Bump stop and frame angles down over axle tube
(Add 2 3/4" for C-notch, subtract 1/2" for bump stop) should have approx 9" of drop before axle tub hits c-notch)

Top of Diff to Bottom Bed
9 3/8" (clamp/brake line "T" will have to be moved"

Hitch to Ground 12"

Front Crossmember to Ground 10 1/2"

Front Air Dam to Ground 11 1/4"

Tire Size @ 34 psi
Front/Rear 28"

10" rear tire to top of rear fender tub.

Transmission Crossmember to Ground 10"

Rear Bumper to Ground 17"

-Dexter
Dexterb is offline   Reply With Quote