View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #277
whlman5150

Re: Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

CaptFab, thanks for your responce. I still have a few questions though.. just to confirm with you, ANY front suspension unit from a '71 through '87 will work and bolt in? And these will convert the front brakes to disc with a 5-5 bolt pattern? And if I wanted to..could I get rotors with a 5-4 3/4 pattern rotors?

Does this swap eliminate the front torsion bars on the truck?

If I had the chance to swap out the 10 bolt rear end for a 12 bolt, would that be recommened? I've seen ads out there for 12 bolts from a 65 truck...would that work?

Also, I may have a line on a front suspension from a '77 C10 and 12 bolt rear end. Would that be a recommended swap? The rear should be 5-5 bolt pattern, right?

As I said in my original thread, I am thinking of putting an LS 5.3 engine in the truck. I am looking at one out of a 2006 GMC Sierra. Can I use the power steering unit from the '71-'87 donor with the LS power steering pump? I believe GM switched over to metric some where down the line...or would I have to use some adapters or have hoses custom made?

On a side note, I do plan on odering the power brake booster bracket from you AND the power steering bracket if it will work out for me in my application. Eventually the rear disc brakes too...trying to decide whether to go with the Impala SS set up or D52. If I'm reading your posts right, the D52 seem a bit more heavy duty??

I will look up the thread from markeb01 to see what he did.

Sorry for all the questions...just trying to learn this stuff so I can start planning my build.

Thanks!

Gary