View Single Post
Old 06-13-2022, 11:42 AM   #33
mattfranklin

Re: Tired Straight-6, upgrade to V8?

The sixes are definitely easier to work on and pretty cool to look at. The power of a V8 is super fun.

For your immediate power loss issue... Like the other guys have suggested, smart to check timing and think about a 2bbl.

I might have missed it, but have you checked your fuel filter (or in-tank sock) or checked rubber hoses for possible kinks or internal degradation which can also limit flow? Those problems don't show up at low power, only when you're trying to get a little more power for a hill or heavy load. Easier than swapping an engine. :-)

EDIT: Oh, and I am a broken record on this issue, only because I've done the dyno work with the product... Try a couple of bottles of Techron Concentrate at the recommended dosage (one bottle ounce per gallon of fuel tank). In my work, clean vs. dirty intake valves shows a 5-6% power difference (not huge, but it might be enough to get you over the next hill). And Techron Concentrate can clean the valves to make them flow as well as when they were new. But they can't work miracles with valve sealing, that's a machinist's job. ;-)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340

Last edited by mattfranklin; 06-13-2022 at 11:47 AM.
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote