View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #11
fordguy40

Re: Project: Grandpa

Since it looks like I'll be waiting a while for the duplicate title, I'm tackling a few small, easy-to-fix things. Still have major things to do before it's roadworthy, like going through the brakes, alignment, tires, and exhaust, but there are plenty of little things to do that give the illusion of progress.

First, got a repro standard tire carrier kit and a used front crossmember off ebay to get the spare out of the bed. And after muscling that thing into place, I hope I never have to use it; once I start welding I'll look into possibly fabbing a crossmember with a winch-type carrier.

Upon dropping that tailgate to get the tire out, I found that the passenger's side trunnion cup on the gate was missing. No surprise given that the thing is held on with three small spotwelds. Luckily, someone had the foresight to toss it in the cab behind the bench, so I had it plug welded and had extra beads run around the outside of both cups for good measure.

The super-crusty battery tray was replaced. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I couldn't find one of these with the support attached. Separated the old tray from the support and screwed the replacement in.

Got a little work done on the interior, too. Aside from the repaint, the interior will easily be the most expensive part of this project. Pulled out the bench, belts, and what was left of the rubber floormat. Replaced as much of the missing stuffing with whatever was handy and duct-taped it all up....good as new for now! Also replaced the broken seat track cable (thanks, TKCR) and I've got a new mexican blanket cover for when I recover the bench.

Soaked the belts in Shout and laundry detergent and pretty happy with how they turned out; not perfect, but they work and are no longer as sticky as flypaper. Really wish they had accurate reproductions of these belts, or at least the sleeves and buckles.

The floor for the most part is in good shape, with the typical rust along the driver's side toeboard and floorpan. Windshield doesn't appear to be leaking, but it will need a new one, so it's getting a new gasket anyway. I'm guessing the cowl may be leaking and the space between the fender and cowl might be collecting debris, which would explain the toeboard rust. Will have this fixed when it goes in for paint, so in the meantime I'm going to leave the new rubber floor out and will make do with the old rubber floor mats out of my F150 so any water that gets in doesn't get trapped. Also replaced the rock-hard body-to-door seals.
Attached Images