View Single Post
Old 01-22-2024, 10:24 AM   #694
dsraven

Re: Project: Tow-Rat (Lil' Blue)

it is expensive but waaay better than the RTV stuff. trust me, as a heavy duty mechanic you don't want any come backs because that second time around repair not only costs you (or the shop where you work) money, it also costs the equipment owner money in down time, equipment rental if required and the operator loses his time too. for a trucker, it means a lost load or possibly losing favor with the company he works for if he is an owner operator. we had a trade school teacher who drilled this into our heads-do it right the first time and you only have to do it once. if you think of the bolts holding parts together as simply the things that hold the parts together rather than the things that make or break the seal and you think of the two mating surfaces as surfaces that need to fit tightly and match, like a metal on metal seal, then it changes how you look at gasket surfaces. instead of relying on a "good gasket" and sucking the bolts up tight you will start to look at the 2 parts for defects first. lay one part on the other and check for gaps, with no gasket in between. fix any high or low spots, then install the parts with a good gasket and tighten all the bolts finger tght, doing one then the other across from it and so forth, when they are all finger tight then add a little more to each in the same manner until the third go around when they can be tightened to spec. especially on a gasket that is a lot of work if a redo is required.
just the way I do it. I have very few warranty returns so it must work, lol.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote