View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
SulphuriousSam

Re: Sam's Man Cave 66 Project

We just recently moved to a new house that’s put 30 + miles between me and the truck. That and the fact that work has kept me very busy, kept the progress to a minimum. I have done a few small things to report.

First I gave the truck a much needed bath. It was under the PO’s carport for like 8 years and had the dust to prove it.

The PO wanted to keep his crappy rims or sell them for $600 bucks...we let him keep them. My friend Daniel had some chevy rally wheels he was willing to give me for free, but the center hole wasn't large enough for this old truck. Oddly enough though another friend saw those wheels and liked them better than what he was running on his blazer so we swapped and these fit. So that's why the shiny wheels in case you were wondering. I'm partial to the stock steel wheels or some old style cragers or smoothies myself.

Replaced the brake master cylinder in the pic below. I don’t have an after yet but you know what they look like anyway!

We bled the front brakes and got them working but I had to order parts for the rear brakes that were trashed.

Rear driver’s side brake. Wheel cylinder is very crusty lol

The truck came with the original (or replacement of the original) fuel tank that mounts behind the seat. But this wasn’t installed and the sending unit is missing. So since it was out I decided to come up with a temporary solution until I figure out which tank I want to get that mounts under the bed between the frame rails.

We were sitting around discussing this when somebody said a beer keg would look cool as a tank. And my buddy whose shop we all shamelessly take advantage of mentioned that he happened to have one laying around. So we fabbed (meaning he did it) up a temporary fuel tank from a bud light keg!

Not bad for a hour’s work! We ended up placing it in front of the passenger wheel well for now since it’s too long of a reach in the middle as in the picture and we had just enough fuel line lying around to run it from there.

That’s about where I’m at for now. Plans for this weekend (if all goes well) are to rebuild the rear brakes. My spring kits, and wheel cylinders came in for this. And to replace the starter so we can run the engine some more. That needs to be run some more so we can better determine whether to pull the motor and do a re-ring. Or leave it in and do the head work first. With my luck we’ll end up needing to do both

Here's some random pics I took just for your viewing pleasure

Not too excited about this aftermarket shifter handle

I think I know what this hood ornament was...and I wish it was still there!

My 20 month old daughter thinks daddy's new toy is for her!

That's all I've got for now. Please feel free to comment or give me suggestions etc. I'm not much of a mechanic but my friends have all assured me (with evil grins ) that I will be by the time we're done with my little project

1966 C10 LWB, 283, 3 on the tree (lots of work to do!) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471348
2001 Suburban daily driver
2008 HHR (wife's ride)
SulphuriousSam is offline   Reply With Quote