Thread: Frankentruck
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 06:12 PM   #39
cwcarpenter98

Re: Frankentruck

I got some spark plugs and wires to work with the new HEI dizzy. To make everything work with the ram horn manifolds, I followed the advice from other members here on using 77 corvette plugs and wires. It worked out great, and I complemented the install with some zip tie wire separators.

I finally got the engine back together and in the truck, but before that, I had to fix some issues that I ran in to. The PO of the engine had put a new oil pan and timing cover on. He also used a long water pump. I wanted to use the short water pump so that I could keep the alternator on the driver's side. That way, I wouldn't have to mess with any of the wiring. The timing cover on the engine ended up being too thick for the short water pump, so I had to change the timing cover. In the process, I snapped the harmonic dampener, so I just used the one from the new engine instead of the one from the old engine. I cleaned up the old timing cover and chiseled off the timing tab to fit the newer style dampener. Everything went back together, and I was able to put the engine back in.

I had also attempted to use an adapter to go from the Rochester 2 Jet to the Quadrajet manifold. The 2 Jet ended up not clearing the adapter at all, so I went ahead and got a reman Q Jet from Summit Racing. I chose Summit because I was still trying to make it to Power Tour. Once I got the carb put on the engine, I realized that there was no way to connect the linkage together in time to make it to Power Tour. I was crushed, but after stepping away for a day or so, I was able to jump back on and start figuring it out.
Attached Images

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote