View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #98
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

So, technically I am released to go back to work tomorrow night. I figured I should take the structure off of my thumb and see what I can actually do with it. May as well do something on the Sub right??

I decide the project of the day will be bending up some 1-1/4" x .187" flat stock to serve as a support for the air filter/intake plumbing. Good thing to do with a questionable thumb I figure. So I get to bending the flat stock up and things are going pretty good. Every once in awhile I get a friendly reminder through my central nervous system that I have an injured thumb, but not as often as I thought I would. So I get the bracket made (had to use a Sawzall twice) and get it painted. In the mean time I clean up my "hose connectors" and prepare them for installation. Around now, my wife comes out and says she's going somewhere to meet up with one of her friends to shop, eat, something.

So, I put some RTV that I got from the International Truck store in the ends of the tubes and install the connectors. I wanted to use this RTV because it has weapons grade strength--unbelievable stuff--it is like ten part epoxy or something. I get it in there and install the connectors and put clamps on. I put the filter on and the pre-filter cover also. I look at it, liking what I see, and decide I need to run the motor--just to make sure everything is good-to-go of course.

Well, my boy likes to push the button on the remote starter under the hood and make the engine run, so I locate him in the front yard and invite him over to make it run. He comes over and hits the switch and it rattles to life with no effort at all. I set the manual throttle to 1200rpm and let it run. Well, the one thing i did not realize was that the front door on the house was open. The screen door was closed, but the inside door was wide open. I came in after it had been running for around 15min and whoa, my house had the heavenly aroma of pre-burned diesel fuel. Oh noez!! I have the silly suspicion that my wife is not going to have the same appreciation for the scent of the air inside the house as I do.

Sooo, as I sit here typing this I have all the doors open with my cooler running in warp drive trying to clear the air before she gets home.

I hope I am successful......

If I make no future posts here, you will know the answer.