View Single Post
Old 11-06-2022, 06:26 PM   #246
omodified

Re: "Midnight Rider" 1970 C10 SWB Fleetside

Since the brake lines are installed, I can begin preparations to install the engine and transmission into the frame. I did my research a while back on my transmission options. For several reasons, I chose to go with the 4L80e. For this application, I decided to use the B&M 118002BM. This transmission has the perfect specs for my application. B&M's Street/Strip transmission is a complete ready to run unit (less torque converter) for high performance street and mild dragstrip use. The transmission provides firm shifts and features a standard shift pattern, these are the finest available for street and strip use. The Street/Strip GM 4L80E automatic transmission fits GM models 1997-2015. Features a 34-element intermediate sprag, high energy intermediate band, new overdrive sprag assembly, new low roller assembly, performance friction materials, all new solenoids and wiring harness, recalibrated valve body, performance pump assembly, steel forward hub. Designed for a maximum of 800 horsepower and 650 ft/lbs of torque.

I bought this transmission a few years ago and I'm glad I did. The prices have gone way up on these things and they seem to be on eternal backorder. Since I have been sitting on it for a bit, I had the opportunity to nickel plate the only zinc plated hardware that came on it, the tailshaft bolts. So I installed these first. I torqued them back to GM spec of 25lb/ft.

Next thing I wanted to do before installing into the frame was replace the transmission pan. To help with cooling, I decided to go with a deep pan. B&M makes nice one with a magnetic drain plug. I've been sitting on this one for a while too, so this hardware was nickel plated as well. First thing to do was remove the stock pan. I assumed the transmission had little to no fluid in it, so I flipped it upside down to do the work.

Next thing is to remove the transmission filter. It is attached by a tube in the corner of the transmission. It just lifts up and off. Once the filter was removed, I installed the supplied steel support bracket. When you re-install the filter, the back of the filter just rests on this bracket. I torqued the bracket bolt back to 8 lb/ft.

Next, I installed the supplied extension tube and seal for the filter. It's a really tight fit so I used some transmission fluid to lube it up. With the tube installed, I re-installed the filter. I also put the pan gasket in place.

Last step was installing the pan. The filter gets sandwiched between the pan and the steel bracket that I installed a few steps ago. It is a tight fit but it goes. I used the cross method to tighten to pan bolts to 12lb/ft. Next up, mocking the transmission/engine/headers to check for clearance issues...

Board Member #87725
My build thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=813848
omodified is offline   Reply With Quote