View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #105
Grizz1963

Re: What did you do to your truck today part III

I have been losing sleep the last few days about getting the the rear springs and shocks off the truck and the new ones fitted after our battle with Martins last weekend.

This week I used SAS20 penetrating fluid three times to get the nuts and bolts all oiled up.

Today I contacted Darren from Unit Engineering to offer him a 4 post, 3000kg lift for £200.00 but interestingly he had also bought one last week.

One thing led to another in our text chat and I mentioned tonight's projected job and anticipated pain.......

"I have a battery powered Rattle Gun you can use." he offered, so after work I went down to his industrial unit (large engineering shop) had a coffee, chat and guided tour of some of his toys. Then asked if I could buy some solid ally from him to remake my lowering blocks....... come with me he said and back into the engineering shop we went.......

"Here, have these"

So with Rattle gun in hand I came home.

After Martin and Ian got in we had a coffee, then I started the fire and handed over to Ian while Martin and I went to the garage.

Back end went up and Rattle gun came out........ EFFORTLESS !!!

OLD vs NEW

Springs and shocks removed

The shocks come with a variety of steel sleeves, and I needed to cut two down to make them fit. Then grind down the sides of the bushes a bit for a tight fit.

New parts fitted and locked down.

OOOOOHHHHH YESSSS !!!!

1.5" drop........ now that had my face hurting from all the grinning.

Not bad for 90 minutes worth of effort.

Checked the level with a spirit level and the load bed is flat straight.

Now I want 2.5" dropped spindles on the front to go with the drums......... Can you get dropped spindles to go on drums??

Next up, tomorrow morning we need to drive back to Martins place 15 miles from here to fetch the new front brake hoses from his truck as he is going Disc brakes next, and to get some fresh brake fluid, then redo the trucks front shock lower bolts as I bought new high tensile bolts this week, as the originals were badly rusted and one was too short.

Last thing will be a decent road test, and some daylight photos of the truck to show the current stance.