View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 08:51 AM   #173
TKCR

Re: Restoring OEM Seatbelts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzabie View Post
for webbing that is frayed do you replace it on the 73-79 k5 blazer?
No. But it depends on how bad your talking. People’s perception of frayed, are different. I’ve had people show me pics of their “frayed” belts, and I look at them and it’s nothing. Then I’ve had someone that shows me belts that looks like it went thru a meat grinder. Those have to be re-webbed for sure.

So far, I haven’t had the time to venture down that path of rewebbing. Plus, there’s the liability factor in rewebbing belts. I know there are a few companies that do it, and seem to be quite expensive. I myself got a quote from SsnakeOyls several years ago about doing mine, and it was $800-$900! But doing what I do with the belts, I can understand why it’s expensive, the retractors need to be completely disassembled to rewebb. I don’t believe they are doing them anymore. I have had several people send me their belts for restoration, because they can’t get ahold of that place. Not every old set of seatbelts need rewebbing, that’s where I can be of help. Just offering an alternative.

On my own set of belts, I had a very small area of the webbing that was faded. And they were filthy. That’s when I decided to just do something myself to mine, and that is what started all this. It’s only just been recent, that I retired. So it’s actually given me more time to do other people belts for them.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote