View Single Post
Old 03-08-2023, 04:47 PM   #150
dsraven

Re: 1947 Panel Truck Frame swap with ’88 k2500

maybe a couple of posts too far back, but a hint on oxy acet welding that i have found works for me.
-a small joint space if unable to get them tight together
-clean the metal on both sides so there is not rust. I find anything rusty or covered with paint or galvanizing just makes the weld pop and sputter and also the weld is possibly gonna have porosity
-try to get the correct sized torch tip for the job. too big of a torch will not mix the gas well in the mixing chamber before it gets to the tip, at least thats mt thoughts on it, and then it has to be cranked up to light0turned way down to get a correct size flame cone to weld the thin metal. some guys use a small torch like a plumbers set-the kind made for small bottles but then attached to a larger bottle instead- or a jewelers torch, because they have a small torch handle and less flow so the velocity through the handle mixes the gases better, my opinion, but anyway they are made for a smaller flame cone
-when adjusting the flame don't get too much oxygen in there, just bring the long lighter colored cone down so it stops at the smaller light blue cone and then stop. that way you don't get so much oxidized slag in the weld and area but also it isn't a carburizing flame either-that has too much carbon in it that gets added to the weld.
-start heating the weld and pay attention to the puddle, torch angle, etc. start to add-bad in some filler rod when you think it needs it. sometimes I keep my filler rod near the puddle so it is really hot and ready but not melting and leaving too much metal in the puddle when i bring it in.
-it's kinda like tig welding,, watch the puddle, dab in some filler, move along steadily. use the right size filler rod as well. too big I find leaves blobs of metal, too small and you use a lot more rod.

I like the work you have done so far, and how you think outside the box. also how you aren't afreaid to try making your own stuff. nice inventions so far.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote