Thread: Stripping Cab
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2023, 08:02 AM   #24
special-K
Special Order

Re: Stripping Cab

Stripping to bare metal is known to be the best way to assure the best quality work, for a number of reasons. New paint is only as good as what it lays on.

I've owned my '72 K2500 for 22 years. I knew it had one repaint. It looked great and it wasn't a fresh job. Definitely had been painted a good while, so at least 30 years old now I'd say. In the last 5 or more years the hood and front fenders started getting fine splits showing up in the paint. Those started to lift and curl and flake off. I sanded down the bad spots and repainted. It kept on happening and as time goes by it is happening faster and over the entire part. The paint pops off to bare metal. I have no idea why. Maybe no primer, maybe mill scale on replacement parts. Maybe both, maybe defective paint mixing. I have no idea but for the first 15 years I had the truck I had no idea this was going to happen

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote