View Single Post
Old 08-22-2022, 04:28 PM   #44
airspeed247

Re: 1979 C10 SWB Build - Off To Hawaii

Still deciding on the A/C components. May post them in the main page to see if anyone has any insight before I pull them off.

In the meantime I wasn't planning on getting a new steering wheel for a while but I tossed an offer out on ebay for one for $20, they accepted, so here I am. I like this style for these trucks but wanted to do something a little different.

The paint was flaking off the "spokes" so I figured I would sand it all off, paint it and clear coat it to give it a fresh look. Besides the paint the grip itself is in great condition and it came with the correct mounting kit. So win win. Also I've included a picture of the steering wheel setup that was on the truck. I've looked under the hood and couldn't find a horn so with that and the wheel setup I just assumed it had been ripped out. So I was going to bypass it and just instal my own horn kit. Upon installing this new one though the horn kept going off when I contacted the switch. So it changed my plans to make this setup work like original. Another win

Back to the steering wheel I won. Cleaned the grip up and its like new, then took the flaking paint off to reveal a nice patina. Figured screw it, it actualy matches the trucks body so I decided to leave the spokes as they are and will clear coat them with probably a satin clear. Wire wheeled the rusted bolts and clear coated them but decided to go ahead and swap them out for grade 8 bolts just to change the look. Ordered a horn button which is on its way and now have a custom looking patina steering wheel. I'm not upset about it. With shipping I can't complain as I'm in maybe $50 and the size, feel, and look is so much better. Will shoot over another shot when the horn is fully installed.

Less than 30 days of us moving and starting the venture to Hawaii now so trying to knock out any last minute items while I still have a driveway and garage
Attached Images

airspeed247 is offline   Reply With Quote