View Single Post
Old 07-27-2021, 10:55 AM   #22
Wgesnerjr

Re: Slot mags vs pyo's

I have American Racing AR61 15x10 5x5 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/are-ar615173 The 4 inch backspacing gives the truck a real aggressive look. Everyone that sees it asks about the wheels.

Tires are Cooper Cobras I bought online. Started getting a really bad vibration at +75mph soon after it hit the road. (75mph is the slow lane of I-285 in Atlanta!) After many alignments, I did some research online, seems like Cooper has been having some issues with sidewall bubbles. One of mine original Cobras developed a bubble and I had it replaced locally. Vibration is still there but minimal.

I did notice that the font on the new tires white letters is different. Letters are laid back just slightly, almost italicized. I wouldn't have noticed until I compared the front and back tires on the same side of the truck!! UGH! Seems like they have changed between my first purchase and the second. Not sure what I will do now since its driving my OCD off the charts!! If I had it to do over again, I would have paid extra for BF Goodrich Radial T/As from the get go.

Other than the vibration, the truck rides nice. There is some bounce that modern cars do not have but that is expected with an '85 pickup. Grip is ok but my truck has an open rear and in the rain with no weight in the bed, it spins alot. Not sure on handling as I only have a front sway bar and stock springs. The tires seem fine and I'm sure lower sidewalls would be better but I just wanted the old school white letter look.

To complicate thing more, I never drove my truck on the stock sized rims and tires. Once it was running, it was on the new wheels and tires so I cannot compare to the original ones. Sorry.

Hope this helps
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote