View Single Post
Old 05-27-2023, 06:57 AM   #4210
mr.mud1

Re: Random Photos ‘You took’

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Isn't that something you'd never expect to do? Hold a humming bird in your hand? I had a similar experience. I have a vestibule/open foyer leading into the mudroom, no door. It has a sloped ceiling. To the left of the door is an area with shelves and two windows. One day a hummingbird was fluttering up against the ceiling or dropping down bumping into the glass trying to get out. I climbed up to reach the ceiling, put my cupped hands under it, and it dropped into my hands. I climbed down, held my hands out in the open doorway, and he buzzed off. You know that thing felt it was so hopeless getting out, and so exhausted, it figured surrendering and hoping for trust was it's best choice. Yours is the only other story like this I've heard

I stopped putting up feeders, too. I heard about the algae and they didn't really hit the feeders up that much. my sister has to fill hers twice a day. Mine sitting so long would be likely to get algae. Plus ants went for it more than hummers. I have plenty of flowers those guys like to cruise through and hit. It's fun to sit in the tard, hear one come buzzing in, and do a lap of hitting all the flowers. My sister's humming birds are a pack of sugar junkies who hang close to the feeder in the trees and run each other off. I wonder if they even forage the nectar of the flowers. She's up on a mountain, mostly woods, not a lot of flowers, but tons of hummingbirds
yes sir,they are amazing little critters.once it warms up here,they arrive and there's a million of them.we can hear them in the trees,they roar by your head a 1000 miles an hour.pretty cool.we hear from time to time about some sickness the other birds get and people take in feeders but we don't hear about algae in the hummingbird feeders?they don't stay full long enough?we can fill them everyday it seems like although we had one empty the other day,faster than normal.my wife has a camera to watch for wildlife.she went through the pictures and old Mr racoon found it,he was cuddled right up to it sucking out out the sugar water.the little birds are cool and it seems to be something that most people who stay here in the airbnb unit,comment on when they leave comments in the guest book.they are all fascinated by the hummingbirds.pretty cool.take care.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote