View Single Post
Old 11-06-2021, 07:18 PM   #14
wazzabie

Re: "Root Beer Float" 1976 Scottsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
Darn it all. I am trying to keep this thing as low-budget as possible so if I get bored with it and sell I won't be upside-down. Little things add up, and no matter how much you spend on the little things, a long bed in okay-ish shape is still worth what it's worth. Anyhow, I went to remove the hideous gauges that were haphazardly stuck in a three-gauge pillar pod right in my face. It had a tach, vac, and trans temp gauge. All handy...but poorly done, and they lost power every time the lights go on. Thinking it would be easy to delete them, I went down a rabbit hole and found the most awful rats nest of wiring I have EVER seen. The starting point was a bolt in the plastic pod that was a distribution point of sorts...with NINE, YES NINE hot wires leaving it and going to and from the dash. And that was just the start. There was more "creative" wiring removed from the dash than the entire dash harness. Not including what I already removed under the truck when I did the fuel system. WHAT THE HECK MAN!? Well now the entire dash is stripped, and I'm on the hunt for a dash harness. It looks like this will lead to a light interior re-fresh of some sort. I'm not replacing the dash pad or bezels, but maybe the door panels, and some cleaning and freshening up here and there.

I ordered a new bluetooth stereo, speakers and brakets for the cab corners. Surprisingly I found the dash cut for a DIN stereo to be clean. There were cube speakers bolted into the dash pad sitting up in the windshield, they sounded terrible. I ordered a dual voice coil 4x10 for the center and two 6x9's for the rear. I didn't want to do kick panels, that opens up some more cans-o-worms and expense. I also removed the old brake controller, it's cool but I'll never use it and it was just contributing to the wiring mess. I'm debating if I should keep the cruise control intact. It looks to be a dealer add-on because it's 1) ancient and 2) very well done, unlike all of the other "extras".

Here's to scope creep!
Looks like you have a mess. Are you going to get a new or used harness? The harnesses may be different depending upon what options were ordered.
wazzabie is offline   Reply With Quote