View Single Post
Old 08-13-2021, 05:49 AM   #402
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s English 2001 S10 Extra Cab 4.3 V6 Truck

So yesterday was planned for nuts, bolts, rusty stuff, side cutters and a grinder

Lazy slow start, then chatted with @pauly about the roll cage or hoop options for the build.

I want something chunky looking, and different is a great option.

He sent me a pic of the half cage from one of the phases of his 56 Chevy.

I think it may work.

With a bit or lot of work.

Then Sally called, and all hell broke loose.

I got to cut the grass, weed and clean a bit of stuff around the yard.

She asked me if I could help her to help Uncle Bob with some trees that had grown too tall, and were interfering with overhead power lines.

Of course I had to say yes, no problem.

So while she washed her car, I gathered all my bits, went to buy 5 liters of fuel to mix up for the chainsaw, filled the chain oil and fuel reserves, and tried to start it, third pull it took, this after more than 2 years since the last time I used it when building the garden wall,

After washing her car, I had to buff back the one fender and bonnet that must have had a paint repair at some point in the past as they always fade away, and if she is selling the Corsa, it needs to be presentable

Then off to Uncle Bobs.

Unpack, find a double length ladder and get started.

Fortunately Uncle Bob was away at his yard, spraying brambles and weeds, so we could get on and just do the job without him supervising.

He had shown us on an earlier recce in the morning which trees needed to come down.

9 of them in total, though a lot of other plants needed some serious pruning and cutting back (he stopped looking after the large garden 14 years ago when Sally’s mum died as she used to love the garden and manage it) , certainly more than one days worth of work, having to plan and operate between various structures and abandoned treasure cars etc.

Despite a used, somewhat blunted chain, I managed to proceed.

Sally drew the cuttings away for me and built a huge pile. I had to cut quite a few branches into smaller manageable sizes too.

Two tanks of petrol, and one refill on the chain oil is how long it took me to get the first two trees done.

7 trees to go, a job for another day.

Perfectly timed, for us, Uncle Bob for home just when we had finished cutting the lot down and piled up.

He seemed happy, almost 75 now, I guess jobs that were a breeze when he farmed, now are both tiring and dangerous.

Now I need to find a petrol chipper locally to use, or one to buy as there is a load of work left and the other 7 trees to cut down.

Having all the cut branches and stumps removed will cost more than the price of a used petrol chipper I suspect.

After we finished at Uncle Bobs we went to Sally’s place for her to try out the mower I had got her for her birthday, seems she likes it.

Even got a pic this morning from her to say she was happy with the finish, which made me smile.

She loves her garden.

Maybe today I will get an hour or two on the Rezin Rockit.

After going out with Sally.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote