View Single Post
Old 08-15-2021, 04:07 PM   #407
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s English 2001 S10 Extra Cab 4.3 V6 Truck

So rewind to Saturday 2.00pm when Craig and his family came over to collect a load of stuff I had gathered for him the last month or two.

After the usual greetings, him and I were straight down to the carport to try get about 45 minutes in on the Rezin Rockit before other friends and David, the one lodger got here.

So with his extra hands I set him loose with rattle gun, spanners and access to the big red toolbox……..

I had the grinder and cut back some more self tapper screws.

Happy guy.

Soon enough we were ready to lift the body off the chassis.

Chose to cit away some wiring that had ben threaded around and through the chassis.

The wiring does look like it was done by a blind monkey with a roll of insulation tape and connectors.

So I called Kevin, David and Sally down.

Sally to take photos, and also Craigs daughter Elli who was put up a ladder to take some photos, including the one below.

Sally also made a video of the body coming off.

With real movement.

Click link:

https://youtu.be/nmgGvGtDqw4

So the rear end, exposed.

Those who know will be able to identify what we have here.

I don’t have a clue.

Front end.

Bigger picture, rear view, @craigrk inspection

Front end.

So today I took a look at the chassis as it stands.

Some surface rust.

When you go through it, red oxide, under-seal was the protection plan when built.

However, thats a great water trap in the long run.

BFH exposed the extent of the problem.

The only bad place was about 150mm or 6” that will need cutting, cleaning and welding with a reinforcement.

Thick flake of rust.

On further inspection, the underslung fuel tank that Craig removed yesterday, seems to be Ready for retirement, inside and outside has a lot of rust.

Clearly a welded together tank, I think a new system of carrying fuel is needed.

I like the look and idea of a Jerry can/s mounted up rear as a gas tank, but it will raise the centre of gravity, which is meant to be as low as possible, considering this is going as low as possible.

So todays question is based around aesthetics meeting functionality.

If I go Mazda MX5 power, the fuelling will have certain demands, as will the rest of the build.

So finding an interesting route to deliver that, would be cool.

After scraping the chassis a bit, keeping in mind it needs a load of work, I tidied up and closed shop.

The next two weeks at work are going to be between insane and silly busy, so maybe not much time to mess with this thing.

However, I will do what I can.

So tonight, it is more than weekend over, rather….. great week off, not masses achieved, but it feels like I stepped off the treadmill for a bit.

I reassembled the front end panels as well, for looks and tidiness

Happy with the outcome.

Life is good.

Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote