Thread: Frankentruck
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2022, 01:22 AM   #930
cwcarpenter98

Re: Frankentruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
So you used a disc brake kit using you stock A-Arms and crossmember?
The reason I ask is I wonder if the caster got increased with the 73+ trucks in that they all had power steering. The way I understand it is the older non-power steering trucks had less caster because more caster makes them more difficult to turn the steering wheel without power.
When I was looking for a kit over 6 years ago, I didn't find a kit that had a spindle using the stock ball joints and tie rods. The kit I chose came with a set of stock height, Western Chassis spindles manufactured to squarebody specs. The kit also came with new ball joints and outer tie rods to squarebody specs, a tie rod adapter sleeve, and new inner tie rods to work with the adapter sleeve and my stock centerlink. Since those wear parts needed replacing anyways, it worked out well.

I'm not sure on the squares if additional caster was used compared to the 63-72 stuff that was more commonly manual gears. What I do know is that the steering feel on the road at speed has improved so much that I wish I had done this years ago. How much it has affected the parking lot/low speed turning, I haven't done enough to really tell, but hasn't seemed too bad yet. As I drive the truck more and break the trailer out of hibernation if the back yard isn't too soft, I'll update on how it feels in parking lots and dealing with a trailer.

I believe I have what I need on the engine side of things for a power steering conversion if I decide to go that route, but since I replaced the manual steering gear with a Redhead gear, I'm not too inclined to change it just yet. If the manual steering with additional caster ends up being too much of a pain, I will probably convert to power steering before I revert to stock caster.

Another note on the steering feel. I've really only driven my truck, so I haven't felt how a truly stock suspension c10 drives. When I bought my truck, the previous owner had put the upper control arms on backwards at some point. I did not know that at the time, and since I didn't remove the uppers until last week for paint and new control arm shafts, I didn't know that they were on backwards. I only found out when I ended up with +11* of caster on one side and +9* on the other. The shop couldn't align it like that. I also can't find the alignment sheet from when I first got it aligned after installing the disc brake kit. It's possible that I already had some additional caster, but camber was more on the positive side of life. That might, and I mean might, be why the steering input doesn't seem more challenging that before.

Sorry for the essay, but I hope that answers your question!

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote