Old 11-30-2023, 05:33 PM   #5
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Re: Caddy 500 in a Squarebody

Thanks

I have a chevy TH400 with an adapter thats allready fitted to the engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerial View Post
If your using the TH400 then the only difference is the tailshaft. Easy enough to swap out in most cases. Worst case you shorten a driveshaft.

If your planning on keeping the sm465 that is where things get a bit tricky. Cadco has a flywheel and the thing is a Heavy sob. It is also quite thick.
https://cad500parts.com/product-category/driveline/
Call them to make sure your getting the right stuff for the application

I had a Lakewood bell(opened up to the sm465's larger bore), 1/8" block protectior, adapter plate, the thick flywheel and from there it was a basic BBC 454 clutch. But I only had like 1/16" between the block protectior and the flywheel. A mini starter was needed also because the Cad starter nose would not fit inside the lakewood.

Plan on dropping $500-600 in cad co parts plus another $200 for a BBC clutch.Watch the tooth count on the ring gear or your going to need to play with the starter also.

I have had 3 500's and 2 472's in squares. I had my last 472(68High C) sitting in the shop and finally got rid of it this summer. Those Cad engines blocks love to drink and in a square plan on 6 and if your lucky 8mpg. They are fun in a mudtruck where you want that torque. But they do have issues with oiling, valves and everything is more expensive then a BBC. An LS is a much easier option especially if you want to keep the sm465. Bolt in deal with the parts to bolt the engine up to that sm465 about 1/2 the price of the cad stuff.

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote