View Single Post
Old 07-27-2021, 06:25 PM   #53
daveshilling

Gas tank sealed and installed

I dropped some chain in the gas tank and moved it around a bunch, then hosed it out. Did this 5 times until the water was pretty clear.

Then using the POR-15 kit, i put in one container of their cleaner, thinking "Hey I did most of the cleaning, this wont do much. WRONG. Brown liquid came out after letting it soak on all sides for at least an hour or so.

The instructions for the kit say to pour ALL of the coating in, then pour out the excess. DO NOT do this. Pour some in, move it around, and if you need more, pour more. You cannot reuse it, but they want you to empty the whole damn thing in there then just throw most of it away. I was left with over half a can, which means I can do another tank in the future! For an $80 kit, this is a big difference, cuts my gas tank cost down to $40 each for sealing up.

After it dried for a week, i installed the new sending unit, fixed up the wires, added some old drawer liner I had under the straps, added new rubber hoses, and bolted her down.

How about that factory painted original gas tank!! I do love the untouched surfaces of this truck.

"Get Clean Fuel to the Carb" has way more steps than you'd think when you are trying to rescue a truck from a field!
Attached Images

daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote