View Single Post
Old 08-31-2021, 09:34 AM   #231
theastronaut

Re: '88 F*rd Festiva Autocross/Track/Daily Driver Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
Becaureful of reducing the pump speed due to cavitation. As a reduction of water flow. Combined with a hotter motor can lead to overheating when your playing with it on the track.

I ran into this problem with a standard size sbc water pump when driving high speeds for 30+ minutes going to Vegas. Where as my alternator could give me issues on the street if it was to stop, and go. When it never had the issue before.

I have played with items like wetter water in the past, and like them. So I would suggest you give it a look, and ask someone more knowledgeable on pumps.
The little b3 engines have a hard time getting up to full temp already, a lot of guys up north completely block off the radiator in the winter to get decent heat out of the heater. The chamber is so small (71mm bore) that there isn't much area for heat to be absorbed into the water jackets so overheating isn't a problems unless something is really wrong with the radiator/water pump/etc. I've talked to a couple of guys that road race with the 1.6 DOHC version of the engine (same basic water pump) and they're avoiding cavitation by using a pump with a cast iron impeller and slowing the pump down. One is spinning his engine to 9k with no problems, and he ocsasionally drives it on the street.

I've mentioned my friend Charlie a few times in the thread, this is him and his Festiva at the recent Gridlife Alpine time attack event in Colorado.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGi8jLE8yjY
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote