View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #13
skyphix

Re: 2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 - Road Trips/Light Overlanding/Daily Driver

Did a little road trip test last weekend. 800 miles round trip. Its definitely got a minor oil leak which I knew about but nothing I am too concerned about - lost less than 1/2qt in around 4000 miles. I'll deal with it after a longer road trip next week and monitor it through the week. I'll bring the suspect gaskets (pretty sure its the valley cover seeping) and enough tools to do the job on vacation if I need to.

Added a Thule roof rack and carrier I had - funny story, these cross bars, feet, and carrier originally came off of my neighbors volvo. I bought it for dirt cheap a couple of years ago to put on my 4Runner... and surprisingly, the same bars and feet fit the Suburban too. Pretty versatile. Did a few other minor things like LED reverse lights to help visibility through the tint and even with the camera. I'm also adding a Roku streaming system to the on-board DVD player. Its just roughed in right now with cables hanging but after our trip I plan on running the RCA cables under the passenger seat, up through the B Pillar trip, and snake them through the headliner to pop out next to the DVD player and plug them in. Then I'll hide the HDMI Converter and mount the Roku to the top rear of the center console so that the remote still works. We'll just use our phones hotspots (unlimited data - we both work in IT and are comfortable with the speeds and data usage) to provide internet access when the kids want to use it. I'll take some photos once its all actually done.

Averaged 14.5mpg mostly interstate at 70mph. Thats hand calculated with GPS verified speed (previous owner used a hypertech to set for the larger tire size) and distances. On-board computer figured around 14.2. Saw as high as 15.5 across VT where speeds were averaging around 55mph rather than 65mph. These are with the roof rack...

We leave this Friday for a 3000 mile round trip that includes a significant amount of offroading/beach driving, so that will be fun. I've done quite a bit of beach driving with my old 4Runner (which had 32" AT tires that I ran around 20psi) and my wifes 2011 4Runner (which has 20" rims and street tires and we ran around 25psi) so hoping with these tires aired down to around 20psi, things will be fine with the big girl too.

Last edited by skyphix; 10-26-2020 at 03:03 PM.
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote