View Single Post
Old 12-20-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Aluminum running boards

They were never made specifically for 67-72s. Those things came about later in the '70s when trucks hit a big surge in popularity. Many new accessories popped up for the current trucks with the 67-72s being over looked on most things. Bushwacker started making fender flares back then, yet they never made a flare for 67-72 till recent years and only in the huge pocket style (when most want to leave the bodies on their classics unmolested).

I adapted a pair of 73-80 running boards for a K/20 I had with big tires that I cut out the front fenders and inners on to help keep debris out of my rockers and lower front cab area. They are not a good idea if you are looking for body protection. All they do is encourage rust where they fasten to the body will hold salty road grit and they only protect the outer part of the body where salt runs off and is easily washed off. They prevent you from giving a good wash-out up under the body that is the concern during winter months (inner rockers/cab corners/supports). They serve more to hold the stuff than keep it off.

I had to cut the fronts and re-weld a piece in, but my wheel openings were cut back. But, I believe, IIRC, the ones listed for '73-87 still are a bit long and will require same mod.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-22-2015 at 07:02 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote