View Single Post
Old 05-02-2021, 08:59 PM   #9
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Plow Truck, '78 GMC K35 Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400/400 View Post
Cool pickup. Having revived a MN pickup with a plow, I can appreciate the work involved.
It was a southern truck originally so it helped keep some rust away. It needs rockers, a couple small spots on the bed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 400 View Post
Cool rehab!

Bet with some weight in the bed age is going to plow well.
So far it didn't need extra weight. I only had to use it 3 or 4 times this winter and it pushes snow like it's barely there compared to the K10 which had to work HARD to move the deep or heavy stuff. My only gripe with the plow is this one has electric control where my old one was cable. I prefer the cable because it just seemed like you could finesse it more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
You grabbed a good one. And immediately improved it dramatically. That thing is a beast and will be worth taking good care of.
Exactly my thoughts at the time. I can fix it up while I use it and the value should follow.

The next upgrade was to the interior. I wanted it to be nice, comfortable and have everything function. I was able to get most of that accomplished but it really turned into a much bigger project than anticipated. I wanted bucket seats and a console. It needed a radio. It's an AC truck but that wasn't a priority, heat was definitely a priority. While I am mostly happy with the results there are still some things to work out but I'll get to that later.

I started with searching the junkyard for seats. I had a set of front seats from a 2003 suburban but they were for the farm truck. I found a really nice set from a 2004 F150. Black and grey cloth, I prefer cloth over leather because you don't slide around and it warms up faster. Cool looking and in good shape. But there are major hurdles using these in a regular cab square body. I'll explain as I go. I found a console to match the style which wasn't easy because most of those trucks had the shifter in the console or had a split bench with fold down arm rest console. A friend had a good grey dash pad. So I had most of the pieces to get started.

Pulled out the bench seat, dash pad, door panels, carpet, everything. And found that the water soaked passenger side had virtually rusted the floor away completely. So that needed to be addressed.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote