View Single Post
Old 03-26-2024, 08:51 PM   #1298
SkinnyG

Re: SkinnyG's '61 Apache

I bought a trailer, since I sold my last one with the matching truck. It needs some love, but more importantly I need the right length ball hitch. In this case, that's 14" to clear the sexy bumper.

Mocked up for welding:

And now that I'm making one, I see that they are actually available online....

I also bought the cheapest catch can on Amazon, because I'm pushing oil out of the engine under boost.

Turns out, it's also the smallest catch can. Not really a problem, and it actually works out good, because I altered it to act as a zero-maintenance oil-separator and drain the oil back into the crankcase.

I plugged the "in" port (right) and drilled out the threaded drain on the bottom and welded a -10AN bung so the can is filled from the bottom. I also welded a -10AN bung on the "out" port (left) which I also ported internally. This is mounted using one of the heater box screws, a bracket, and a hose clamp. Then I made up new AN breather lines.

Operationally:

"Blow By" gets sucked into the intake manifold at the back of the driver's valve cover.

In order for that air to move, fresh filtered air comes from pre-turbo, through the catch can, and into the oil fill cap on the driver's side.

Under BOOST, a one-way check valve at the intake manifold stops the crankcase from being pressurized.

Crankcase pressure escapes through the -10AN line out the oil cap to the catch can, oil is collected, and theoretically just "blow by" is fed to the turbo and back into the motor.

Off-boost, collected oil drains back into the engine.

In theory, at least.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote