View Single Post
Old 01-07-2023, 05:52 PM   #2
Southcity

Re: 60-66 Suburban Challenges

I own a 1966 GMC 2 wheel drive Suburban which I have been daily driving for the last 10 years, and a 1966 Chevy K10 4x4 Suburban. Responses below:

1.How easy is it to track down OE seats for these? This is always a challenge, they tend to be expensive and in most cases will require a full rebuild/restoration to actually use them and be comfy in them. With that said, both my rigs are running the stock seats and I love them but you can use seats from other year Chevy trucks with good success (i.e. Buddy Buckets with center console, or Blazer style seats etc.)

2.How are the road manners? 4x4's with stock suspension setup, about as you would expect a truck from this era with leaf springs to drive on pavement roads - not bad if the road is smooth, pretty rough when the road is in bad shape.
For the 60-66 2 wheel drive Suburbans, they can be setup to drive very smooth and handle quite well. GMC=leaf spring rear, Chevy=trailing arm. Trailing arm suspensions tend to provide a little smoother ride than leaf spring rear.

3.Stock driveline able to keep up with modern small-town and rural traffic? Depends on many things, size of engine, type of transmission, how you drive, etc. Keep in mind that front disc brake setups are a tremendous help in driving these trucks in modern traffic.

The 60-66 Suburbans are an excellent vehicle in terms of room, versatility, unique looks etc. An all steel truck with all steel shell, they tend to be a bit noisy inside so taking steps to improve interior comfort and reduce noise goes a long way.