View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 07:22 AM   #23
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Re: Dropping my '64 stepside without messing with the suspension...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_a View Post
Well, as far as doing it "right", springs are not the answer. They totally change your suspension geometry and they effect the ride quality of the vehicle. The cost isn't the issue with springs either because they are cheap.

Dropped spindles are more "right" than front springs, however , as I pointed out in the first post, I didn't want to swap to disc brakes and have to change my upper brand new ball joints out, and no one appears to offer the dropped spindles fro this application without having to do BOTH of those swaps.

Air bag suspension is a great alternative. as you can avjust ride height, then sit it down low to look good. But that is expensive.

Doing a Body Drop is usually how people get a vehicle that is lowered with air suspension and possibly dropped spindles even lower. You can sit the frame on the ground, but your body panels will still be up in the air because the frame sits below the body. That is when people usually save up and finish the job by body dropping. From some research I have found this move to cost anywhere from $3500 - $10,000 for a shop to perform it.

As far as the good looking truck that I chopped up goes - all the body panels that look good (with exception of the rear of the cab) are not cut at all . They are still all factory. All I did was cut the floor and the fromt frame horns and the bed rails.

In the end I know that everyone has their own opinion of how things should be done and a lot of that is based on what has always been done that everyone is used to. I wanted to go outside the box and try something different. I don't take offence to people's criticism and I appreciate anyone who steps out and does any change at all to their vehicle because the factory turns out cookie cutter cars and if you want to make it your own that is totally your perogative. Just never forget that you CAN think outside the box and try something different. That is how progress is made and things move forward.
To each is own...but I'm going to have to disagree with you on whats "right".

I have need dropping vehicles now for about 16 yrs...(not too long, I still have alot to learn ).....but if done correctly, spring modification will not affect the ride as dramatic as you say.

What I recommend to my customers on a budget, is pull some 3/4 or 1-ton front springs from the wrecking yard (cheap), cut a 1 1/2 to 2 coils max, and remove the bumpstop mount on the lower a-arms. (this will give you the ride back you lost from modifing the suspension position). By running a heavier spring rate on a 1/2 ton, you still retain some "strength" when you cut them down...versus cutting a stock 1/2 ton spring...

Combine that with a dropped spindle (yes there is a cost there), and a nice set of oil shocks (oops, another cost there) and you WILL HAVE an excellent ride.

Now, as far as suspension geometry, any qualified ASE certified alignment shop CAN realign the truck back into spec. If you notice, there is plenty of stud there to get the front wheels back out to correct camber.....

Otherwise, the channeling looks good man

Good Job !!!

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"

Last edited by ChiefRocka; 09-06-2007 at 07:26 AM.
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote