View Single Post
Old 07-28-2021, 07:39 PM   #612
SCOTI

Re: Used Parts Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydb84 View Post
Thank you sir.

I did. The recommendation from their site is that any holes be at least 50% of the thickness size. Generally when I weld outside corner joints I shoot for a tiny bit of overlap to make lining it up easier. I figured that 50% would be a good amount as well for the notches. I put the cuts at 0.045 out of the .100 material thickness for a bit of overlap and worked out really well. I started reading after the fact and there is a ton of information out there about how to plan out relief cuts. I will probably spend a bit more time researching before the next piece I make.
I figured 50% as a guess but was curious. We did a 'pre-cut' bracket before & it required clamping into a vice & decent size crescent wrench's for the bends (.187 steel).

Based on your comments in this thread, I tried them (SCS) out on my latest endeavor.

I e-mailed my local place on a Tues AM w/a 'file' & request for a quote.

I checked out SCS's web site that night just to get an idea of their process. One of the assorted basic layout options listed had my basic needs met. Less than 5min later (9pm @ night), I had a basic price quote.

Wednesday AM, no reply from my local guy. I checked again @ noon & still no response (last request for my steering shaft took a week before I received a reply). I went ahead & opened an account w/SCS, placed the order, & my stuff indicated it was cut by the end of that day. I received them yesterday morning.

My local guy did respond that Thursday afternoon & would have been $7 more/each. While I would prefer to help my local place out, they're inconsistent when I reach out. I know I'm not spending big money there. But, where I work does & has for many years. I only expect a timely reply to let me know how to proceed & don't think that's asking for too much.

I'm betting I'll be using SCS more in the future. Thanks for sharing....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 07-28-2021 at 07:47 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote