View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #77
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
See, i knew i missed something. That is true. They are gluing bedpanels on now to. Good point. I like the way you think.

Have you done any of your own tests, like gluin two pieces of metal together and see how hard it is to get a apart???
Nope, but there are a couple threads on the board here, I think in the paint & body section, where a board member that does body work, did some tests and posted them.

The local body guy is the one who recommended I go this route. He said they've had cars and trucks come in after collisions and the panels were still on solid with adhesive. There are rumors floating about panels popping off, but they were probably not prepped correctly for good adhesion, if it happened at all. Sounds more like an old school body guy trying to scare potential customers. If I had known about this method sooner, I would have done it years ago, without hesitation. One of the reasons I've posted it here is to maybe help out some other members that are not comfortable welding. It's not exactly cheap. The gun or applicator is about $45, and each tube of adhesive is around $37-40. I used 3 tubes here. But I did it all myself which makes me feel better about the project. I've got a jimmy that will probably get the same treatment.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote