View Single Post
Old 01-17-2022, 03:13 PM   #44
DM72C20

Re: 72 C20 LS Swap/Build

Update on the truck. Some observations on having a working LS swap done.

It took many attempts to get the speedometer setting to work properly. There isn't much in the way of guidance for this sort of thing. Part of the problem I was having was relying on the HP Tuners Scanner speed rather than reading it from a separate GPS speed on my phone. It's now set within 1mph on the speedo and is around 2% high on the odometer over a long distance when compared with the GPS distance. I might modify the setting yet again to try and get it within a %.

The truck starts instantly, no matter what. I had it parked outside in -18C (around 0F) weather and no problem at all. In that cold, I found that it was a bit stiff to shift into drive from park, but the engine had no trouble whatsoever.

There is so so much power on tap! Even though it is just a 4.8, it is fast! I'm loving that aspect of it.

Mileage has been a respectable 12.8 - 13.8mpg. I've been having fun with it, so I'm sure I could get it even higher if that was the priority.

It's got new Cooper AT3 tires now which were part of an attempt to eliminate vibration at highway speed. The old tires weren't worth balancing apparently.

The vibration is certainly distracting when cruising along at 75mph. The mirrors all shake so much it makes you dizzy. Might get it in for an alignment next, and possibly replace suspension bushings and whatnot. The motor and trans mounts are all new with the swap. Cab mounts were replaced in the last few years.

Also trying to reduce the wind noise at highway speed. I added some cut to width pipe insulation along the top edge of the door frame hoping to cut down on potential entry points for noise. The insulation is EPDM and actually looks quite good. I adhered it with double sided tape. It made a slight difference, but could be so much better. The engine is whisper quiet now which at least rules that out at speed.
Attached Images

DM72C20 is offline   Reply With Quote