View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
TrucknAndy

Re: "72 GMC Wideside" Quasi Build Thread

Well, I ended up not messing with my idle mixture, as I had no way to measure engine speed, fuel pressure, or vacuum. However, this is fine as I have parked the old girl for the summer. I know it sounds completely backwards, but with the kids out of school soon I can use the old ladies' wheels to get to and from work.

Yesterday I took out the bench seat, pulled up the carpeting, removed the POS radio/speakers, and the glove box. Weird to see her like this...its a bit nerve racking.

Step One: Install This!

To clean up this! Disclaimer: I did not foil wrap these fuses...very glad I have the opportunity to remedy this before something bad happens.

and this!

This side of the dash isn't so painful to look at with exception to the radio opening that was destroyed by the PO to install a double din radio/cd/cassette. They used a thin poorly cut sheet of metal to attach the radio to the dash. Eventually I hope to get a new dash or have a patch worked in, but in the mean time I will likely have to mount a new radio in a similar fashion as the PO. Minus the hacking up of a dash.

The Carnage:

Here is the floor pan...that glue should be fun to get up. Surprisingly, there were no surprises under the carpet. I knew the red patch was there...I guess she had a manual tranny in her previous life. Not the end of the world, and I may use it to mount an auto tranny floor shifter from Lokar. If I get lucky and the holes line up. Hole in the floor pan isn't nearly as big as that patch. The only rust hole (Ill post a pic of it later) could be seen even with the carpet down. It is at the seam of the pass side rocker and floor pan. Should be an easy fix down the road.

Is this the ballast resistor used on the older ignition systems?

Lastly, where does this wire connect to? Its part of the A/C harness...the purple wire is connected to the blower, and I am good to go on the vacuum lines I need, as well as having a/c hoses run to the compressor, but I have no clue what this wire is for.

Well, that's it for now. I will keep this as updated as possible as things move along.
TrucknAndy is offline   Reply With Quote