View Single Post
Old 02-23-2023, 12:31 PM   #15
dsraven

Re: power steering and automatic conversion

well, its looks great. nice job.
I mentioned in another post possibly in another thread that a column from an earlier car, possibly 60's era, may be used with an auto for the period correct (almost) look and a column shifter with indicator on the column. if doing an overdrive trans it could be set up to show the gears correctly except for the 1st gear but not too many people are putting it down into first gear anyway. it could be reworked with the detents and indicator to show correctly or there is likely a kit to make it work properly with the old column. there are lots of old car guys installing over drive transmissions so a look on one of those sites ma help find out what they are doing. nothing like stock parts for old cars as the newer stuff in the aftermarket wouldn't stand the test of time like the old stuff has. just my opinion. personally I am not a fan of the flat floor (no consoole) with a stick style shifter for an automatic. I always think of the accidental leverage applied to the mechanisms with a lever that long when somebody bumps the shifter. however, there are lots of guys doing it and it seems to work out fine for them. I suppose a stick shifter on an auto with a manual valve body option would be cool, no clutch but the sound and feel of manual shifting.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote