View Single Post
Old 04-13-2024, 05:39 PM   #6
jumpsoffrock

Re: Timken bearing issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga-stepside View Post
I guess that clears that up. I still don't like advertising something from one company and receiving a product not made from that company but boxed in their company package. Seems like "bait and switch" to me. I remember when GM put Chevy engines in Oldsmobiles without telling buyers they were getting Chevy engines. I believed they were sued for that.

I've got two opinions on this:

1) I've been knee deep in roller-bearing-world for the last few months between transmissions and front hub bearings. Koyo, Timken, National, Federal Mogul, Bower.....these are all names I've seen used on old vehicles which I've torn apart, that were serviced in a time where parts were made with quality. These brands also makes oil seals.

If I see a bearing with these names, I give it a bit of credit.

There are Koyo USA bearings, and Koyo Japan, all seem top quality. Yes some Timken is Korea and Taiwan...who knows how bad or good they truly are.

2) Your complaint of "I still don't like advertising something from one company and receiving a product not made from that company but boxed in their company package"--this is understandable, but I'd like to remind that this is what Carquest and NAPA have done for many decades.

I have searched eBay for bearings and seals a lot recently and have seen many NOS bearing boxes that look quite old say "Federal mogul" But inside is a part by National or Timken. Just the same for Koyo.

This name-switcharoo is nothing remotely new. But most of these brands are longstanding and trustworthy.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote