View Single Post
Old 11-27-2021, 02:41 AM   #16
Nick_R_23

Re: LED Headlights - Help!

What you want are fanless LEDs, the kind with the copper cooling belts on the back. These will conform to the tight spaces behind the headlights where there is little room on these trucks. DON’T use the cooling fan models, the fans commonly fail and usually don’t fit anyway.

I have been running LEDs for over a decade now. The best ones I have found are made by G6, and the best place to pick them up is on eBay. Use the search term “9005 LED fanless” or “9006 LED fanless”. They run about $42 per pair. I have used these on over 30 personal vehicles, including motorcycles and ATVs, zero failures. They also position the LED chip where the stock halogen filament sits.

Side note, stock housings are not true reflectors. Yes, they are a style of reflector, but the lenses are serrated to scatter the light pattern, which does more to dictate where the light is thrown than the reflector does. The reflector backing or the position of the filaments compared to stock will do little to change the light output pattern because of this. The reason that you’ll typically see HID’s appear much brighter in oncoming traffic compared to the LEDs or halogens, is because the HID’s are not shielded (your eyes are exposed to the arc/filament), whereas halogen bulbs are painted at the tip, and LEDs mount their chips on the sides, so your eyes are never exposed to the light directly.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote