View Single Post
Old 04-27-2023, 10:00 PM   #81
Short 3/4

Re: My 1967 Chevy K20 Build Thread

Funny how brake parts for something as common as a Chevy truck can be so hard to find. Was definitely the hardest part of my rebuild!

Don’t know if he’s still around but a guy named Craig had a business in Southern California called Drum Garden that specialized in impossible to find brake parts. Might be able to find him on the interwebs, if not I may be able to dig up his number.

One thing I learned is there are a number of applications for different years and manufacturers that all used the same 12x2” castings, then machined them to different specifications. For instance there is a Ford application that is just slightly larger ID than ours that was still available when I first did mine. There is a business in my area that re lines brakes for big trucks. Was able have my shoes re lined with thicker material than normal then re arched to match the larger drums. Apparently this is a common thing done on big rigs and this place certainly would not do it if it was not legit. I ran mine for several years that way until I came across the correct ones. They worked great and I still have them for spares. Whatever you use, I strongly recommend finding a place that can arch your shoes correctly, as it makes a huge difference in the performance of any drum brakes.

Return springs were another thing I was surprised weren’t available. Lots of places said they had them, but they were never right for 3/4 ton. Glad yours were all still usable

Project is looking great, keep up the good work
Tom
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Short 3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote