View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 09:37 PM   #927
rgunlock

Re: My 78 K15 High Sierra build - Fish Tremble

At this point, I finally have the axle installed with new ball joints - progress! Time to connect everything to it.

I'd installed new brake calipers earlier that in my wisdom I decided to paint. Didn't think about removing the bushings the bolts go through first. Forgot that they needed greased also, so I had ended up with squealing brakes. Took care of all of that properly this time and it has been quiet so far.

Went to install the front driveshaft. The same shop that gave me 4.56's for the rear instead of 4.10's installed a new yoke on the front axle. Didn't give me the "U" shaped straps that bolt to it to hold the U-Joint. Originally I had a yoke with threads for that, new one needed different straps that use a nut on the back. Of course I didn't have those so ended up just removing the front driveshaft for now. Will have to find the right "straps".

Then I went to install the center link - I think that's what its called. Its the long bar that connects the steering knuckles on both sides. Originally, mine had installed from the bottom up with studs pointing up and nuts on top. With these K5 knuckles, the taper forces you to install with the tie rod studs going down. Of course, there isn't enough clearance to do that if the axle is installed because the leaf springs are in the way. Off go the u-bolts to lower the axle and get that on. Then of course, since the crosslink bar is a couple inches higher, the brackets for the steering stabilizer won't work as-is. Had to disassemble all that and figure out a way to rearrange so it would go back on reasonably correct.

Everything else went fairly well Got to drive it to work today. Steering seems a little off. Not sure if the 3 degree shims did that, or I just got used to driving my wife's Tundra (that drives better than my K15 on its best day), or moving the crosslink up and different knuckles messed with my toe setting. But, nothing fell apart so I'm calling it a job well done!

Next up, the NV4500 swap. Thinking based on this experience that I better not plan on it being a weekend job
Attached Images

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote