Thread: 55.2-59 59 GMC 270-336 swap.
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2022, 03:59 PM   #25
1project2many

Re: 59 GMC 270-336 swap.

I don't think you'll lose points with truck guys no matter what route you go. One thing I do know from experience is that people tend to ask "If you're going through the work to swap an engine, why wouldn't you use the biggest engine that fits?" So switching to a 336 is likely to earn criticism for that. But if you don't care than it won't matter.

I can tell you my truck does plenty OK with original brakes and steering and the "little" 302 Chevy I've put in it. I would not be interested in going to a smaller engine unless it produced similar power and torque numbers.

I think the issues for me would be more financial and how long will it take to get the truck running? It seems like a bunch to pay for an engine and trans that may require more $$ and work. Is it manual transmission or auto? Will you be comfortable using this transmission without a rebuild or at least a re-seal? Will you be comfortable using the engine without going through it? What is the plan if you take it apart and it needs unobtanium parts? Just putting it out there...
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote