View Single Post
Old 08-29-2021, 08:12 PM   #35
kglowacky

Re: new steering box

OK I installed my new redhead steering box and took it for a test drive today. Here are the results
1. it bolted up no problem other then I need the adapters for the metric to standard hose
2 the steering box itself gave me tighter /more friction turning pressure. My old box was really really easy to turn where this new redhead have some resistance BUT I like it as it feels like you have more control over the truck.
3. now the issue of slop in the steering wheel. It is still there. But I think I found the issue.
during my restore mod build I moved the steering wheel column in around 3 inches toward the motor. This made me shorten the steering shaft between the column and box. I drilled out the plastic inserts that keeps it still unless there is a crash then it collapses. After drilling them out I slide the shaft apart and cut 3 inches off both the male end and female end. Well it looks like after I put it back together there is slop at this connection. I also did the same to my jeep purchased shaft. and I got the same slop. So it appears you cant modify these shafts as there is no way to get them to tighten up again or the female side of the shaft is tapered and I cut the tapered out.. So now I am trying to figure out what my solution is the my problem.
Here's what I came up with.
1. Drill two new holes in the modified shaft and install bolts. The problem is it wont collapse and not sure if it will tighten it up enough to get rid of the slop
2. Weld the two shafts together at the connection.
3 Try to see if someone in the aftermarket sells a collapsible shaft the length and fit I need
4. drive as is. really not a solution.
5 buy another factory shaft and cut 3 inches out of the shaft at the coupling and weld back together without messing with the connection

so as far as is the red head box a improvement the answer is yes and I would buy another one and the price is a little higher but after three attempts on rebuilds they seem to be the best result for me. I believe the tightness is a result of them installing oversize bearings and it is a new oem tight fit I am feeling as the local part houses are installing oem size bearings and the box is worn to a point where the are too small due to wear in the box.
will post what I decide to do to fix my CHALLANGE

Last edited by kglowacky; 08-29-2021 at 08:18 PM.
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote