View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #27
Island Medic

Re: 68 Stepside Shorty - Canadian Build GMC 910

Jason, not sure what you are referring to. I think you post was a mistake.?

Well I have been making really good progress and haven't bumped up anything that stumped me. Today was a different story. It took me two days of work but I was able to make two good fenders out of four. Thanks to a member I was able to source two chev 69 fenders. I know they are different, but the parts that I needed were the same. So I played Dr. Frankenstein and made it work.

A little history. the original truck got into a accident. I bent the frame from the drivers side to the passenger side. I hit a guard rail just on the inside of the passenger side frame rail and pulled it all that way. Back in the day I bought a donor truck and did a frame swap. I didn't bother with alignment as it was just to get the truck back on the road. Nothing else seemed to be bent.

I think the rad support is tweaked because I have to pull the top out to get the front top fender bolts in. The bottom of the support has been cross measured for squareness to the cab. The cab has also been checked for squareness.

As you can see from the pictures, the pass fender has a good 1/4" gap at the top but then widens out to 3/4" at the bottom. On the driver side it goes from 1/4" to 1/2" at the bottom.

I did replace the bottom part on the passenger fender and make sure it was in a straight line along the edge with the rest of the fender.

I have installed poly bushings on all mounts, cab and rad support.

The door has great equal gaps all around. How do I proceed from here to make these fenders gap out properly? My thinking is that the rad support is to high and is keeping the fenders from coming down. I know you can tell me what exactly to do but I am looking for some hard won experience to throw out some ideas.
Attached Images

Island Medic is offline   Reply With Quote