View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
bollybib

Re: 69 C20 Rear Brake Drum

RichardJ, although what you say is correct, the issue I’m concerned with isn’t centering but with the rigidity of the drum/hub assembly. As far as overthinking goes, if a vendor provides me with something other than what they specify, I question it. My engineering background plays a role in this I suspect. Anyway, I sent the drums back and time (a lot of time, no doubt) will tell if I get my refund. [racepages.com credited my account for the full purchase/shipping price on 2/28/11]

Longhorn Man, google Centric 122.66024. There are quite a few vendors and eBayers that sell this drum but I found that all of them draw on the stock held in Centric’s City of Industry, CA warehouse like racepages.com (the guys I bought them from).

Before I shipped the drums back I cleaned up the old drums and took a pic of an original (on bottom) and a new drum back-to-back. You can really see the difference in the holes.

In the meantime, I had the old drums machined even though they ended up oversized. I need to be able to use the brakes and move the truck around without tearing up the shoes. I’m more interested in the engine/transmission situation but the brakes were so FUBABed I had no choice but to rehab them first.

I’ve only found Centric drums available for my truck, p/n 122.66024 at a reasonable cost, say under $100 each. There may be others. I haven’t tried calling people like Raybestos and Bendix but I found nothing online for my truck made by them. Maybe someone else has some information they can share on this.

Another thing I wondered about…can you change the hubs on my axle to accept demountable drums for the same brakes without any modifications ? I looked at this a little but haven’t come up with much so far. I think I’ll keep this on my list of things to investigate on a rainy day.
Attached Images

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911

Last edited by bollybib; 03-08-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Update on refund
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote