Thread: Brake vacuum
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2022, 09:54 PM   #42
MT65

Re: Brake vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Just want to throw this into the mix here.
I have had issues with brakes and vacuum on two different engines, my "69 C10 with 5.3 LS - it has maybe 10" to 11" of vacuum at idle (note Idle is set to 800-900rpm or so). I have tried every possible idea for vacuum brake booster I could imagine, size of booster, different size bore masters (note I am running Wilwood brakes and master) even tried a vacuum cannister and then out of frustration I bought a damn electric Vacuum pump.. and well the noise from that alone was not working for me... anyways, I spoke with Wilwood and basically came to the understanding that they require a min. of 15" but prefer 17" of vacuum. So, I was told to consider a Hydro-boost brake system. Needless to say, I got one and DAMN what a difference! It is not cheap, but works great!
So on my "66 I am running a 383 stroker with a cam that produces maybe 10" if lucky, so I have already purchased a full Hydro-boost system for it, I am convinced they are they are great.
Now just to add 1 more idea, I have learned about an electric stand alone Brake system that is now offered. Not sure on these, never tried it but those that have love it, but be ready to pay for it.
Anyways, just wanted to toss these ideas into the mix also. I am not sure but as some have mentioned they have great luck with min. vacuum but I am unlucky in this. LOL Wish you luck!!
I have used those “electric “ brake booster setups, works great, still driving it daily…actually bought 2 for the next project which never materialized …
MT65 is offline   Reply With Quote