View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 11:24 PM   #23
71Dragtruck

Re: Project "lighten it up" including Scott's IFS install

Anyway haven't got too much done on the truck, spent time waiting for my shocks, motor mounts and the correct A-arms, only find out the mounts won't work (would raise the engine about 2" the way they came), one of my upper a-arms was sent to someone else and I got his, and steering knuckle was wrong.

Waited another 2 weeks to get my a-arm and send wrong one back, also was to be sent a set of motor mount tabs so I could relocate them, got the arm (had to pay import fees on a part that I already bought and paid for) got the steering knuckle and no motor mount tabs!!!!!!

So couldn't wait any longer for a set to be sent, so bought some steel and made a set, some nice water jet cut pieces would have been nicer but this week and a half shipping at a time is driving me nuts especially when it's someone else's error, plus good chance my future mill I'm planning will will use motor plates anyway, going at least 1100hp on motor.

END RANT/

Some observations.

If you are running a BBC and hooker super comps for that truck, steering shaft is a NIGHTMARE, I had to order a double joint for off the rack and still not sure if that will work or not, had to cut a hole in one of the inner frame supports to clear a header tube and try to ruin the shaft through, took a corner off the other for the header. I'm having a set of custom headers and exhaust built, but can't get in in until the fall so need to somehow get my steering shaft to work for this race season, through the upper frame rail will be a must for sure.

Next, my future mill was going to be a 632, but don't think I can get a pan that will clear the rack and work with that stroke, most of the real deep pans are 5" at the front, so would have to raise the engine but no room in the tunnel for the trans, and then would have valve cover issues, unless I modded the firewall and have no intensions of hacking into that. So will be going with a 582 (thought about a 498 but don't care for how far the piston skirt comes out the bore), will run a SR-20 head package so 1100hp will be a breeze anyway with a 482.

Here are the modded inner frame supports and motor mount tabs

Here is the relocated tabs to show how much I dropped them.

Did get my brake lines bent.

New Ididit column installed

Did a quick mock up of the front end parts and shocks.

The maze of header tubes I have to get a steering shaft through.

And that's about it for now, did some rewiring on my starter and a few other time consuming things that aren't really picture worthy. Will get the mounts in tomorrow and the headers on, also will start finish mounting the arms, shocks, hubs and front brakes. I'm running out of time before opening day at the track, first race was pushed from the 9th to the 23rd this month but even with the extra time doubt I'll have it ready by then, my time to spend on the truck is limited and have lots of stuff that needs to be done once the motor is bolted back down (right now being held up by my engine lift) and its off the jack stands.
Getz Oilfield Consulting
Hard Candy Customs
71Dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote