View Single Post
Old 01-04-2023, 12:13 PM   #4
PbFut

Re: 72 C20 factory air conditioning restoration

What did you do to the rockers requiring the taller valve cover? Just curious.
If you can, I'd change the covers and keep the original look A6 compressor. To me, it's a better look. My valve cover (edelbrock) interfered with the adjuster arm on the rear mount. Some minor grinding of the arm corrected the problem. It was not so much as to cause concern for strength.
I am just starting on this same journey on my 72. All of my system was in tack so it makes things a bit easier. Purchased a new A6 with 134 oil in it as the old compressor was froze up. Also picked up a new drier. The aluminum tubes clean up nicely with sos and a wire wheel. You can pick up a system cleaning tool for pretty cheap. Get plenty cleaning fluid. Flush everything to get any dirt and especially old oil out of the used parts you are using. Harbor freight has a o-ring kit with the correct green material compatable with 134 that seems to fit well. Admittedly, I have little knowledge of AC systems so I am learning as I go and sure to make mistakes. Good luck on your project. I will be watching and learning.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote