View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 09:51 PM   #12
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Re: My new adventure. 64 C10 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383k5 View Post
I have been reading about disc conversions, I think I'm going to go with a stock height 73-87 set-up, my question is this. I was almost positive that the later 12bolts are the same shafts as 10bolts, if this is true why could I not swap the 6 lug shafts for 5 lug shafts, and then use a 10bolt rear drum system?
The later model rears ('71-up) are wider than the one in your '64. I read somewhere about someone using the later model axles in our style rear and then went with the the HD drums(which are slightly wider) to make up the difference for the brake drum width. This still had the axle hanging out a little too far but you couldn't tell from looking at the assembled setup(don't know how well this would work, just throwing it out there for you).

There is also the issue of the '64 having a different spline count than the later('65 up) rearends. You would need to swap out the spider gears to remedy this difference.

Your other options would be to buy aftermarket axles that are the correct length for your year(plus 5 lug drums-or redrill yours to 5 lug), find a 71-72 rear and swap it in or get a 73-up and weld perches on it to fit your truck.

I'm sure you can find all kinds of info if you do a search but maybe this little bit will help.

Good luck!

Last edited by TimE; 02-08-2009 at 09:52 PM. Reason: added info
TimE is offline   Reply With Quote