View Single Post
Old 03-04-2022, 08:28 PM   #310
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Thanks.....

Well I finally tied in the shift this and that, and the steering column this and that too, what an adventure. As steering goes, first I had to do it wrong to do it right, not a big deal. Turns out you can't install the upper steering shaft correctly with the intermediate shaft mounted to the rag joint, go figure. Anyway, got that done the other day and was happy to see I didn't have to mess with the steering box & rag joint formerly installed. So then came the shift business today, which kept me running for a while.

I tried installing what I thought might be the correct assm. for the bottom of the shift control rod to the shift shaft control cross using kit 1394293 / 22503153. Yeah, but not really, my fingers are real sore. I can't see that kit working, couldn't install what I know as the right spring clip. Perhaps there are different rods or clips.

.............. So I went with what I knew would work by tailoring a single flange grommet (aka step bumper # PBCS51612). I inserted that into the cross from the LH side, added a regular flat washer on the RH side, and the clip slid in nicely while there's no play.

Then came the flustering shift detent business for non-tilt, yeah that took a while. Once the positions added up, I ended up adjusting the play off the detent by finding a happy spot, and slowly tightening the lower strap over and over while repeatedly checking the shift, because even when I thought it was right, tightening the lower strap said nope, nope, not there either, nice try, not really close, yadda yadda.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 03-04-2022 at 08:43 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote