View Single Post
Old 02-26-2019, 06:34 AM   #21
special-K
Special Order

Re: Nudder Music Thread: 67-72 Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Led zeppelin in my opinion stole most of their hits songs
Stole is a debatable way of seeing it. If anyone is to blame for that it would be the record companies who wrote the rights of the original artists out of the original music and allowed the new artists to remake the songs for the sake of great profits going in their pockets than the performers. All music comes in some way from what came before. It's only natural for what we absorb to come through in our own creations. And many groups covered prior songs, such as Fannie in my original post. Hendrix, Cream, Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead... all took old songs and made them their own. My preference in general with music is in singer/songwriters who create and perform their own music... and often we know their songs by being played by more popular artists promoted by the radio station/recording industry complex
Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
The songs they “stole” sound better than the originals by far
Again, a matter of opinion which we all are entitled to. Music is all about preference and not a thing to be argued or debated. Apples taste better than oranges, right? The way "I" see it is Led Zeppelin played many prior recorded music differently. They made it their own creation. Many of such songs by them and others were listened to without people even realizing they had already heard that song by someone else. But mostly the case was the original music was from a time way before their own, and a style they were not necessarily fond of or just had never heard. Many early blues rock fans (who didn't even know it was the blues) later became some of the biggest fans of the roots of most all of American music, the blues.

Eric doing J.J.'s song

J.J. Cale doing J.J.'s song

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote